As an educator, I have developed programs and courses, created and curated content, and facilitated workshops, both remote and in-person on participatory design, prototyping, and leadership development, with a strong focus on BIPOC and underrepresented audiences. My background in humanities, photography, and journalism has led me to use writing as a form of activism, reflection, and connection. I write and speak on several topics, such as inclusive design and diversity and equity in the workplace.
Teaching & Facilitation
Intro to Figma Foundations
- CLIENT: Klick Health
- TIMELINE: December 2021-March 2022
- ROLE: I developed and facilitated a four-module Figma foundations course, training a total of 100 creatives at Klick Health on how to use the tool to collaborate effectively in their teams, in order to achieve consistency and continuity in their outputs.
Using Human-Centred Design to Develop Youth Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa
- CLIENT: Planned Parenthood of Ghana (PPAG)
- TIMELINE: September-October 2021
- ROLE: I developed and facilitated a 3-day Human-Centred Design training in Ghana for program officers and representatives working on youth programming in sub-Saharan Africa. The training included lessons on HCD fundamentals, case studies, and hands-on interactive activities that allowed participants to apply their learnings.
UX Design Bootcamp
- CLIENT: Juno College of Technology
- TIMELINE: September-December 2020, February-April 2022
- ROLE: I taught an 8-week design bootcamp to over 20 students covering topics such as UX research, product design, and accessibility. I led students through lessons and interactive exercises and worked with them to support project work.
- Using participatory research methods to push the boundaries of inclusive design | Magnify Conference, November 2023
- Using Participatory Research Methods for Inclusive Design | PushUX, October 2023
- From Vision to Reality: Scaling a Digital Health Intervention for Youth in Rwanda Using Participatory Methods | Good Tech Fest, May 2023
- Starting a Career in Design and International Development | Regenerative Space, March 2023
- The Concrete Ceiling | Embrace Change Leadership Accelerator, November 2022
- Measuring a ‘moving target’: Designing evaluations for HCD programs | HCDExchange, April 2022
- Utilizing an Intersectional Lens | Bring Your Own Chair Podcast, January 2022
- It’s all in your head…but is it? | DEI Workforce Development Series, December 2021
- Designing for Muslim women | Unconform Studio, October 2021
- The Concrete Ceiling | Magnify Conference, October 2021
- Designing tangible tactics so womxn of colour can thrive in the workplace | Unconform Studio, September 2021
- Starting a Career in Design and Social Impact: The Pros, Cons, and Everything in Between | Bootcamp, May 2023
- Self-Care as a Prerequisite for Collective Action | Thousand&One, February 2022
- What’s in a Name? Limitations and Opportunities of Using ‘Woman of Colour’ | Thousand&One, August 2021
- The Concrete Ceiling | Stanford Social Innovation Review, May 2021
- Lessons learned from the corporate world as a UX designer | UX Collective, February 2020
- Getting started in UX: Helpful tips for new designers | UX Collective, October 2019
- Knitting in Sarajevo: Empowering Women to Re-engage in Everyday Life | The Balkanist, July 2016
- Islamophobia and the Wider Implications of the Ottawa Attacks | The Fair Observer, November 2014